Monday, November 16, 2009

SEO ... Yes, I said it.

I'm wondering how many people have actually gone through the SEO, as I come across so many bundles and bundles of people who looked at it and gave up on page 2. (No fault of theirs, IMO. The guide was written as if we were all web developers.) I've found myself helping more and more people with their SEO recently, and am being told that apparently the way I explain it makes perfect logical sense (and isn't confusing.)

So, I may put aside the time to copy & paste different convos and emails I've had with people to the blog. I know there's SEO newb guides already made, but it makes me feel better when I help someone instead of refer them to another link (although I'll post the links I have as well, because these other guides are great, too).

I'm not sure if I feel let down by the guide, or what. Everyone was so anxious and ready for it to come, and then they threw us this giant file full of confusing examples and language that a LOT of people do not understand. If we still have people who can't figure out how to use the back button to return to a shop they were in, how the hell do they expect people to understand META tags? Sometimes things are better explained just by telling a person what they need to do and why, without all the extra bits in-between.

Don't get me wrong, the guide was great - but I understand programming languages and web design because I went to school for it for a few years (and I can't even count how many sites I've been a part of developing for friends, etc.). It just upsets me how many people were all for it until it happened. And then they all backed away with their tails between their legs. This is no fault of their own, of course - but they really could have made the guide much more simple, with plenty of optional reading information. Read the simple guide, and if you understand it and want more info, read the addendum or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment